Employment Authorization Document

Business Handshake

An employment authorization document (EAD), also known as a work permit, allows immigrants to prove to employers in the United States that they are legally allowed to work in the country. EADs are needed by immigrants who do not yet have a green card and wish to seek employment.

Speak with an immigration lawyer today! Call the Law Offices of Scott Warmuth at 888-517-9888.

Who Needs a Work Permit?

EADs are only needed by immigrants who wish to pursue employment in the United States. Green cards implicitly act as a work permit and qualify as proof of employment authorization, as do many employment-based non-immigrant visas. Certain immigration statuses require an EAD.

Authorized to work, but require documentation

  • Immigrants granted asylum
  • Refugees

Require permission to work

    • Immigrants with a pending form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
    • Asylum seekers with a pending form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal
    • Nonimmigrant visa holders without work authorization, including the F-1 Student Visa

A full list of eligible immigration statuses can be found in the instructions for Form I-765.

Obtaining an Employment Authorization Document

Immigrants seeking a work permit must complete Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Forms must be completed accurately to avoid delays and rejection.

Renewing or Replacing an EAD

EADs can be renewed by completing and filing a new Form I-765. Renewals should be filed no more than six months before its expiration date. If you never received your EAD from the USCIS, the department has a procedure to request a replacement for non-delivery. If an EAD contains incorrect information, the procedure to request a new card will depend on who is at fault for the incorrect information. Lost, stolen, or destroyed work permit documents require the filing of a new Form I-765, though applicants can request that the filing fee be waived.

Speak to an Immigration Lawyer Today!

The Law Offices of Scott Warmuth has been providing green card services to immigrants seeking to live and work in the United States since 1984. Our experienced immigration lawyers offer individualized legal help for each and every client. Whether you are seeking a green cardtemporary visa, or citizenship, our immigration attorneys can help you meet your goals.

Schedule a free consultation today – Call 888-517-9888!