Advance Parole


Advance parole is an immigration status that allows immigrants to leave the United States without abandoning their green card applications. Without advance parole, immigrants with a pending Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status who leave the U.S. could have their applications denied because of abandonment.

The Law Offices of Scott Warmuth can help you secure the necessary documents to leave the country without losing your place in line. Call our immigration experts today at 888-517-9888 to receive a free consultation.

What is Advance Parole?

Advance parole allows immigrants who leave the United States to return to the country without the need for a visa. When traveling, an approved advance parole document functions as a visa, authorizing travel in to the U.S. The document does not replace a passport. Also like a visa, the document itself does not guarantee entry in to the United States. Entry to the country is ultimately determined by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers.

Who Needs Advance Parole?

Immigrants awaiting a green card who need to leave the United States should apply for advance parole. Immigrants do not need advance parole if they are only traveling within the United States, including to Hawaii and Alaska, and its territories, including Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Receiving Advance Parole

Advance parole is received by completing and filing Form I-131, Application for Travel Document with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Travel to other countries while your application is pending is not allowed. Should the need for advance parole arise due to an emergency, USCIS has procedures to allow for expedited processing.

Speak with an Immigration Expert Today!

For more than three decades the Law Offices of Scott Warmuth has been helping immigrants obtain green cards. We know which pitfalls to avoid to continue the immigration process successfully. If you are currently waiting for a green card and need to leave the country, we can help you secure advance parole. Our immigration attorneys can help you achieve your goals.

Receive a free consultation today – Call 888-517-9888!

Advance Parole