F-1 Visa for Foreign Students
The F-1 visa is available to international students who wish to come to the United States to pursue full-time academic studies. Universities and other approved academic institutions across the United States admit foreign-born students based on their approval of an F-1 visa.
For a free student visa consultation, call the Law Offices of Scott Warmuth at 888-517-9888.
F-1 Visa Guidelines
F-1 visas, known as the student visa, allow foreign students to enter the United States to attend school. School is fairly loosely defined, and can refer to any of the following institutions of education:
- Academic high school
- Elementary school
- Other academic institution
- Language training program
F-1 Visa Qualification
There are several qualifications to receive an F-1 student visa. Applicants must meet several criteria:
- Enrolled in an academic educational program or language-training program
- The school is approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program administered by the Department of Homeland Security
- Enrollment must be ‘full-time’
- Proficient in English or enrolled in English proficiency classes
- Ability to self-support during the course of study
- Maintain a permanent residence abroad
Working on a Student Visa
Students on an F-1 visa are only allowed to work on campus in their first year with certain restrictions. During subsequent years, off-campus employment is allowed for three specific purposes:
- Curricular practical training (CPT)
- Optional practical training (OPT)
- Optional practical training extension for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics students.
Off-campus employment must be related to the student’s area of study and authorized by the government.
Speak to an F-1 Visa Lawyer!
The Law Offices of Scott Warmuth has been helping foreign students attend school in the United States for several decades. Our experienced visa lawyers offer expert legal guidance with a focus on individual outcomes and successful results. Speak with a visa expert today!