L-1 Visa for Intracompany Transfers

L-1 Visa

L-1 visas allow U.S. employers to transfer executives and managers (L-1A) and employees with specialized knowledge (L-1B) from affiliated foreign offices to the United States. They also allow foreign companies to send executives, managers, and employees with specialized knowledge to the United States for the purpose of establishing an office in the United States.

If your business is seeking to transfer personnel to the United States, contact the Law Offices of Scott Warmuth today at 888-517-9888 for a free L-1 visa consultation.

L-1 Visa Guidelines

U.S. companies seeking to transfer executives, managers, or employees with specialized knowledge from an affiliated foreign office to an office in the United States can apply for an L-1 visa on behalf of the employee. Foreign employers seeking to send executives, managers, or qualifying employees to open a new office in the United States can also apply for L-1 visas.

Recipients of L-1 visas may bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 with them into the United States as L-2 nonimmigrants. Nonimmigrants with L-2 status can apply for work authorization by filing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

Some business may qualify for L-1 blanket petitions. A blanket petition expedites the L-1 visa process, enabling employers to move qualified employees into the United States quicker and on short notice.

L-1 Visa Qualifications

Employers seeking L-1 visas must have a qualifying relationship with a foreign company and currently is or will be doing business as an employer in the United States and at least one other country for the duration of the L-1 classification. Executives, managers, and employees with specialized knowledge covered under L-1 classification must have been working for a qualifying company abroad for at least one continuous year within the three years preceding his or her admission to the United States.

Foreign businesses seeking to open new offices must also show that they have secured sufficient physical premises for the new office location. For executives and managers, the new office must support an executive or manager position within one year of the petition’s approval. For specialized knowledge employees, the new office must have the ability to compensate the employee.

L-1 Visa Limitations

For employees entering the United States to establish a new office, the initial stay period is one year. For U.S. businesses transferring executives, managers, and specialized-knowledge employees to the U.S., the initial stay period is three years. All L-1 visas can be extended in increments of up to two years. Executives and managers (L-1A) have a maximum stay of seven years while employees with specialized knowledge (L-1B) have a maximum limit of five years.

Talk with an L-1 Visa Attorney!

The Law Offices of Scott Warmuth has been assisting companies with immigration law since 1984. Our experienced attorneys will analyze your business situation and develop a comprehensive plan designed to meet your immigration needs. We focus on achievable, successful outcomes. If your business is seeking L-1 intracompany transfers, call us today!

Schedule a free consultation! Call us at 888-517-9888!

Non-immigrant US Visa