E-1 Visa for Treaty Traders

Non-immigrant US Visa

The United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with certain countries, allowing nationals of those countries to be admitted to the United States to engage in international trade. This agreement between the U.S. and foreign countries allows applicable visitors to apply for the Treaty Trader Visa (E-1). E-1 visas are available to traders and certain employees of those traders, as well as spouses and children.

For a complimentary E-1 visa consultation, call the Law Offices of Scott Warmuth today at 888-517-9888.

E-1 Visa Guidelines

Securing an E-1 visa will first depend on where an applicant currently is. Traders already admitted to the United States on a nonimmigrant visa can change their visitor status to E-1 by filing Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. Traders can also file the same form on behalf of lawful nonimmigrant employees. Prospective traders not already in the U.S. need to apply for an E-1 from the U.S. Department of State by completing Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application.

E-1 Visa Qualification

Treaty traders must meet certain criteria.

  • Be a national of a country that maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with the U.S.
  • Conducts numerous trade actions over time
  • At least 50% of trade actions must be with the qualifying treaty country

Employees of treaty traders must meet separate criteria.

  • Is the same nationality as the treaty trader
  • Is considered an ’employee’ under relevant law
  • Conducts executive or supervisory actions or has special qualifications

What Qualifies as Trade?

Trade is not limited specifically to physical products, but can also include services. The USCIS lists the following categories as qualifying as trade:

  • Goods
  • Services
  • International banking
  • Insurance
  • Transportation
  • Tourism
  • Technology and its transfer
  • Some news-gathering activities

E-1 Visa Limitations

E-1 visas have a maximum stay of two years, though they can be extended for two more years without a limit on the number of extensions. Treaty traders can only work in the same activity in which they were approved for. USCIS needs to approve any substantial changes in the business, including mergers and acquisitions, which requires a new Form I-129.

Speak to an E-1 Visa Lawyer!

The Law Offices of Scott Warmuth has been helping immigrants and temporary visitors to work and live legally in the United States for more than three decades. Our helpful visa lawyers provide expert legal assistance tailored to your business needs. We focus on achieving successful outcomes. If you are seeking an E-1 treaty trader visa, contact us today!

Schedule your free consultation by calling 888-517-9888!

Business Handshake